Wednesday, April 1, 2015

Unit 5: Building a Web Culture (Style Design Standards and HTML 5)




I really liked the look of Hurricane Digital Memory Bank and Romantic Circles design.  I thought that of Digital Karnak and Amiens Cathedral Projects did not pop out to me as something that looked appealing.  I will list why these websites worked and did not work for me under the 4 principles of good web design. 
1.   Contrast
2.   Repetition
3.   Alignment
4.   Proximity

1.      The Contrast with color work for me in Hurricane Digital Memory Bank and Romantic Circles, and their use of pictures when you open the websites up are perfect.  For some reason both Digital Karnak and Amiens Cathedral Projects colors are dull and boring.  The contrast of font for digital Karnak is also really bad for me. 
2.      Although Amiens Cathedral Project has good Repetition I don’t believe it works in their favor, it is more monitions then favorable. 
3.      The Alignment in the Hurricane Digital Memory Bank and Romantic Circles projects are both very present and I like the use of a list apart by both of them.
4.      Hurricane Digital Memory Bank and Romantic Circles Proximity is all listed on the front page and is easy to navigate. 

I think I will KISS (keep it simple stupid) my project and use Weebly.  I will also keep a close look at these 4 principles of good design as is in myinkblog:
In using these principles I think my layout will be easy to see and quick to navigate.

1 comment:

  1. You are completely write to keep it simple, and you can expand that range of simplicity the more you experiment with digital materials. The color contrast point is a dangerous one. (1) you always need to consider if someone is going to print out any of your materials. In that case, a colored background does not work well. (2) Think of slightly-color challenged people like myself for whom certain color considerations will not work.
    Proximity/navigation is crucial. If you can't easily navigate a site, then it is pointless. Navigation is sometimes very difficult because you are not sure on what kind of device, and with what kind of browser, etc, a user will be using your materials. A sites works much different on an android phone than on a Macbook Pro.

    ReplyDelete